THE HISTORY BEHIND EPPYNT AND THE WELSH ROAD RACE
The magnificent trophy awarded that day, is currently held by Carmarthenshire County Museum. However, the curator has generously agreed to allow the original trophy to be awarded to the winner of the new Superstock event.
The Eppynt Motor Cycle Road Races was revived in 1948, under the auspices of Builth Wells & Carmarthen Motor Clubs, following a period of austerity after the second world war. It was held on War Department property near Sennybridge, which became the Eppynt road race circuit, named after Mynydd Eppynt, on which it is situated. During the six years that racing was held on the Eppynt circuit, many famous racers of the era participated, including Grand Prix & IOM TT stars such as Les Graham, Ray Cowles, Cecil Sandford, Bill Bodice, Fron Purslow and Maurice Cann to name but a few. However, the lap record of 70.65mph was set by .T. Barnett on a 350cc Norton during the 1950 Junior Race.
It is unclear why the event had such a short lived history at Eppynt, but we are led to believe that increased military activity, as a result of the Korean War, combined with the outbreak of foot & mouth disease, were contributing factors in its premature demise.